Friday, August 1, 2014

Dorothy Klein


Before "Strong Woman" was even a phrase, there was Dorothy Klein. At age 102, she passed away today. My grandmother taught me to strive to do the best job I can, and to not be afraid to say what I feel. Growing up, she and my grandfather enabled our family to afford our home, family vacations, and higher education. There seems to be no better gifts than those. Dorothy Klein kept an impeccable house and garden. She loved entertaining, playing bridge, and traveling. She sewed and cooked well. She had a competitive spirit. She loved church. She was so proud of her two granddaughters, my sister and me. 

When I think about all the things Mrs. Charles Klein saw in her 102 years of life, my mind is blown: World Wars, women voting, inventions from the car to the tv to the internet. Most important to her, however, was her son, my father, who I believe she loved most of all. She outlived him by almost 11 years, but today we are hoping that they are together again. My sister and I raise her three great-grandchildren. We will surely tell them of her strength and determination in all things, about her good health and longevity, about the hours of piano lessons we spent with her, and all the good times, too ;). We love you, Aralia K. Rest in peace.

P.S. When Penny met Dorothy.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Our thoughts are with you friend.Much lovexx