Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Xmas-ing

Let's hear it for Christmas Parties! You get to see Santa (whether you like him or not, ahem Lulu), eat treats, craft, see friends, get your arms painted, and watch cartoons! Let's start the festivities with a holiday dance executed by Miss Penny Jones, witnessed by her sister. In my mind (and seemingly Penny's), this was a perfect "Mr. Sandman" tap dance, except to "Here comes Santa Claus", instead. Imagine it, if you will!






As with most almost four year-olds, Penny talks almost non-stop. I imagine to Lulu it's like having the radio on next to you, while you're quietly trying to peel the stickers off and put them in just the right place (which, to Lulu, is stacked all on top of one another - perfect!)





Penny asked Santa for a guitar for Christmas. Really?? Despite decades of lessons between us, Mr. Jones and I are distinctly non-musical. The greatest thing about the request was that she pronounces the word as just "--Tar". So we gave her advice not to just ask for tar for Christmas. That's the worst thing since coal! As we approached Santa and introduced her, he asked, "Penny, What would you like for Christmas?" and in a moment of pure panic she tugged on my arm, eyes wide, and said, "How do I SAY IT?" In the end, she said it just right: "GA-TAR".

PS. I made their Christmas dresses. Lulu's is this pattern, with a bunch of piping I bought on sale at the Fabric Depot Outdoor Sale. Penny's dress is a vintage reproduction pattern I've made before. It came together in less than two hours and I added patch pockets just for fun. The trim on her dress is vintage. I had just enough left over after I sewed some Christmas pants for Penny, long ago. I don't love many Christmas fabrics, but this print of  trees on top of cars by Dear Stella was pretty adorable. Since chopping down our tree and driving home with it on the roof is kind of a family tradition, the girls recognized this on the dresses, and really loved wearing them.

No comments: